Finally managed to complete this challenge. I wanted to try something new and probably picked a slightly more challenging project than I should have.
The pattern was a really pretty double knit cowl – http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/double-knit-floral-cowl. This is a lovely pattern and I was really happy with my yarn choices. Progress was very slow – due mainly to my lack of fluidity in changing yarns and changing from purl to knit. Eventually I did get the hang of it. I really struggled with tension and my purl side is definately not pretty.
So now it is finished I noticed my yarn choice may not have been ideal. Both yarns are lovely but alpaca teamed with a very non stretchy cotton blend sock wool is not the best choice. The alpaca has a lot of give and is starting to curve over the non alpaca side.
We live an learn – there is no shortage of offers for a good home – I will put it away until next September and see how I feel then.
On the topic of putting things away – I have just finished a ruffle scarf http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/red-ruffles. Another very pretty item. It took forever – 2.5mm needles and 1,500 stitches cast on. It was a very simple pattern and has taken for ever to get off the needles. I haven’t blocked it and will put it away till next autumn. I am not in love with it but know if I give it away I will see it being worn by a friend and regret my generosity.